Substance use disorders cannot be healed with detox alone. To ensure that clients continue to live following the new, more healthful habits they have worked so hard to acquire, they must be offered a series of scaffolded supports to assist their transition back to independent living.
At Gulf Breeze Recovery, our aftercare program will offer you the opportunity to gradually integrate lessons learned in treatment back into your daily life. Hence, you feel fully comfortable moving to the next stage in your recovery. Call our team at 833.551.2304 to learn more about how we can help you achieve lasting sobriety.
Why do I Need an Aftercare Program to Maintain Sober Living?
Even the most dedicated clients often struggle with relapse; between 40-60% of all individuals treated for substance use find themselves drinking or taking drugs within the first year following rehab. However, those who complete structured aftercare programs are overwhelmingly more likely to get back on course. It may be more effective to think of recovery as a life-long process, where you experience certain twists and turns on the road to your ultimate goal of abstinence.
A comprehensive aftercare program offers you the chance to integrate all of your newly-adopted coping skills into this healing process through a customized plan informed by the various professional staff members. They contributed to your residential treatment and came to know you as an individual. Aftercare programs generally include a combination of the following supports, taking place for at least one year:
- For some individuals, a temporary period spent in a controlled living environment
- Individual therapy (such as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy or Neurofeedback Therapy)
- Medical monitoring, especially in the case of therapeutic medications, co-occurring disorders, or chronic health conditions
- Continued participation in alumni support networks and other accountability groups
- Ongoing wellness education, including nutrition, stress management, and physical fitness
- Periodic drug testing (as appropriate)
Generally, you will continue to interact with a case manager who is highly informed about all aspects of your aftercare program and can modify your plan as needed to maximize success. All of these services will be offered on-site, allowing you convenient access to any assistance you might require as your situation evolves.
During these aftercare treatments, you will learn:
- How to manage personal relationships while living in sobriety and repair some of the relationships that may have been damaged through your substance use
- How to establish a personal support network of friends, loved ones, and professionals
- How to identify problematic individuals, places, or pastimes that may invite you to use drugs or alcohol (and what to do in the case of inadvertent relapse)
Additional Needs for Successful Sober Living
In addition to these treatments, an aftercare program can help prepare you for the activities of daily life, helping to mitigate some of the associated potential stressors that may strain your willpower if you’re not careful. If you are happier and more balanced in your life as a whole, you will be more likely to remain steadfast in your plan and more adaptable to positive change.
Some of the resources available during aftercare that can assist you when making this transition include:
- Secure housing and transportation
- Career counseling and job placement
- Child care
- Financial advisement and budgeting advice
- Legal consultation
- Academic assistance
Aftercare Treatment at Gulf Breeze Recovery
Like any chronic condition like diabetes or high blood pressure, recovery from substance use will require ongoing, customized care. At Gulf Breeze Recovery, we will be here to guide your progress from the first moment you decide to pursue treatment. Call our team today at 833.551.2304 to take the first step towards successful sober living and reclaiming your health.