In the long term, substance use disorders cannot be healed with detox and rehab alone. To stay sober, individuals need aftercare treatment.
What is aftercare? It provides support and guidance to clients after completing more intensive treatment phases. Aftercare aims to ensure a smooth transition into daily life while equipping clients with the necessary tools and skills to maintain sobriety.
At Gulf Breeze Recovery, our aftercare program can help you integrate lessons learned in treatment into your daily life. Contact our team at 833.551.2304 or through our online portal to learn more about our aftercare program in Florida and how we can help you achieve lasting sobriety.
Why Is Aftercare Necessary?
Even the most dedicated clients often struggle with relapse. Nearly half of all individuals treated for substance use disorders drink or take drugs within the first year following rehab. However, those who complete structured aftercare programs are overwhelmingly more likely to get back on course. It may be more effective to think of recovery as a life-long process, where you experience certain twists and turns on the road to your ultimate goal of abstinence.
A comprehensive aftercare program allows you to integrate your newly-adopted coping skills into this healing process through a customized plan informed by professional clinicians and counselors. These staff members who contributed to your treatment and came to know you as an individual can offer invaluable support following rehab.
What Is Aftercare Treatment?
Aftercare programs generally include a combination of the following, taking place for at least one year:
- For some individuals, a temporary period spent in a controlled living environment
- Individual therapy such as cognitive-behavioral therapy or neurofeedback therapy
- Medical monitoring, especially in the case of therapeutic medications, co-occurring disorders, or chronic health conditions
- Continued participation in alumni support networks and other accountability groups
- Ongoing wellness education, including nutrition, stress management, and physical fitness
- Periodic drug testing, as appropriate
Generally, you will continue to interact with a case manager who is highly informed about all aspects of your aftercare program and can modify your plan as needed to maximize success. These services will be offered on-site, allowing you convenient access to any assistance you might require as your situation evolves.
During these aftercare treatments, you will learn the following:
- How to manage personal relationships while living in sobriety and repair some of the relationships that may have been damaged through substance use
- How to establish a personal support network of friends, loved ones, and professionals
- How to identify problematic individuals, places, or pastimes that may tempt or trigger you to use drugs or alcohol
- What to do in the case of inadvertent relapse
Additional Needs for Successful Sober Living
In addition to these treatments, an aftercare program can prepare you for daily life activities, helping to mitigate some of the associated potential stressors that may strain your willpower if you’re not careful. If you feel happy and balanced, you will more likely remain steadfast in your plan and more adaptable to positive change.
Some of the resources available during aftercare that can assist you when making this transition include the following:
- Secure housing and transportation
- Career counseling and job placement
- Child care
- Financial advising and budgeting help
- Legal consultation
- Academic assistance
Find Aftercare Treatment at Gulf Breeze Recovery
Like any chronic condition, recovery from substance use disorders requires ongoing, customized care. At Gulf Breeze Recovery, we will guide you through the progress from the moment you decide to pursue treatment. Call our team today at 833.551.2304 or complete our brief online form to take the first step toward successful sober living and reclaim your health and happiness.