Trauma comes in many forms, be it violence, accidents, sexual assault, bullying, or even emotional abuse. Most people have experienced trauma at some point in their lives. As a result, they may have unresolved mental health issues that might worsen their substance abuse disorder. This is why trauma-informed care is important. With trauma-informed care, clients receive the compassionate care and holistic support they need to make a full recovery. If you or a loved one is struggling with a substance use disorder, reach out to Gulf Breeze Recovery’s personalized trauma care program.
‘What is trauma-informed care?’ is a question that is frequently asked in substance use treatment programs. In a nutshell, trauma-informed care assumes that an individual may be struggling with deeper mental health issues along with the physical symptoms of substance use. To learn more about why trauma-informed care is important and personalized treatment options, call us at 833.551.2304.
What Is Trauma-Informed Care?
Trauma is any event that causes an individual significant mental or emotional distress. If such feelings are left unresolved, they can manifest in mental health issues such as the following:
- Mood disorders
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Most people carry some degree of trauma in their lives. At times, it may lead to a substance use disorder or worsen a pre-existing condition.
Thus, in trauma-informed care, the guests have a safe and supportive environment to talk about and work through their issues. It encourages trust, resilience, and open communication. With time and regular therapy, clients come to terms with the traumatic events in their past and are able to move on and live more fulfilling lives.
Why Is Trauma-Informed Care Important?
Here are a few reasons why trauma-informed care is important:
- Clients with trauma often have trust issues. By working one-on-one with an empathetic therapist, the client is able to rebuild bonds of trust, resilience, and support.
- Trauma often traps individuals in self-destructive habits and negative thinking spirals. Through trauma-informed care, they are able to identify toxic thought patterns and replace them with healthier ones.
- Trauma-informed care helps to uncover the root causes of a substance use disorder, thus resulting in more effective treatment.
- In trauma-informed care, clients are treated with the utmost kindness and compassion. Thus, they feel loved, valued, and more motivated to commit to lifelong sobriety.
- Finally, trauma-informed care prioritizes the guests’ emotional well-being. They learn to cope with triggers, develop healthy coping mechanisms and find renewed joy and fulfillment in their daily lives.
Finding a treatment center that specializes in trauma-informed care, such as Gulf Breeze Recovery, is crucial for a client’s long-term sobriety and wellness.
Discover Trauma-Informed Care and Holistic Healing at Gulf Breeze Recovery
At Gulf Breeze Recovery, we are committed to helping citizens from all walks of life. Our clients come from diverse backgrounds and have unique lived experiences, emotional needs, and recovery goals. As a result, we prioritize providing trauma-informed care to all guests at our Florida clinic.
Located close to the Gulf of Mexico, our beachfront clinic offers a serene, beautiful, and idyllic environment for our clients to safely heal, address their issues and make a complete recovery. We also believe in a holistic, non-12-step approach with a focus on mindfulness, where every client receives intensive attention and compassionate support throughout the recovery process. From inpatient care to outpatient programs and even telehealth options, we offer a range of services to suit everyone.