Anger is a natural emotion everyone experiences when dealing with intense or stressful situations. However, untreated anger can lead to self-medicating, anxiety, depression, and other serious health complications. Understanding how anger management and addiction go hand-in-hand is essential to long-term healing.
At Gulf Breeze Recovery, we welcome individuals who need anger management and addiction treatment. Our facility offers residential and outpatient treatment programs utilizing behavioral and holistic therapies. Programs are tailored to the individual’s unique symptoms and include group and private therapy sessions.
Understanding Anger Management and Addiction
People who experience uncontrollable anger are likelier to turn to drugs and alcohol to feel better and calm down. Unfortunately, this does not help them control their anger. It only creates an additional complication that can exacerbate tanger and lead to other mental health issues, such as depression and anxiety. Plus, frequent angry outbursts can cause several physical conditions that include:
- Abdominal cramping
- High blood pressure
- Eczema and other skin conditions
- Heart attack
Addiction and anger management therapy can help men and women stop abusing drugs or alcohol safely with fewer angry outbursts and risks of relapsing. Treating both conditions will require participating in a co-occurring disorder or dual-diagnosis treatment program. These programs focus on the underlying reasons that started the abuse while teaching them healthier ways to control their anger.
What to Expect After Enroling in Anger Management in Florida
Enrolling in an addiction and anger management therapy program is the smart choice compared to continuing to self-medicate with drugs or alcohol. If you are ready to accept support and enroll in an anger management and addiction treatment program, here is what you can expect from the experience:
- When you first arrive at a treatment facility, clinicians will run a complete health assessment to determine the severity of the addiction and the original cause behind the abuse. They will use this information to create a treatment program including residential and outpatient treatment options.
- You will work with a therapist in group and private therapy sessions to discuss your anger issues and how drugs and alcohol are only worsening the problem. You will use behavioral therapy techniques to break the association between the thoughts and feelings that trigger cravings.
- During group therapy sessions, you will participate in activities like role-playing games, group discussions, nature walks, and other holistic activities. You will practice coping and communication skills and develop new friendships that will support you throughout your recovery journey and beyond.
- Another great benefit of this program is it includes family therapy. This can repair broken trust and fractured relationships with parents, siblings, spouses, and children. Loved ones will have a chance to speak with a therapist to vent any frustrations and learn how they can become a part of your recovery experience.
- As you experience all of the benefits of anger management and addiction therapy, the more you will want to continue therapy and build a healthy lifestyle. Many clients who complete addiction recovery continue working with therapists to deal with difficult moments.
Participating in a treatment program focusing on anger management is best for those who develop an addiction caused by a lack of emotional control.
Begin Anger Management Therapy in Florida at Gulf Breeze Recovery Center
Gulf Breeze Recovery provides anger management in Florida and substance use disorder treatment for those who experience uncontrollable anger and turn to drugs and alcohol for relief. During therapy sessions, you will learn all about the dangers of addiction and uncover the root cause behind your anger. Those with severe addiction will receive medication to reduce withdrawals and cravings to continue their recovery with minimal risks of relapsing.