Recovery programs often involve a series of emotional lows and highs, with a difficult day often leading to tremendous breakthroughs the next. To be successful in changing your life, you must acquire the ability to sit back, breathe, and truly process these feelings. This allows you to accept your emotions and is the first step towards processing unhealed trauma.
Wellness training such as meditation can offer you a critical tool towards effectively implementing all other components of your treatment plan, offering you the best chance of lasting success. When seeking meditation therapy in Florida, consider our program at Gulf Breeze Recovery. We offer a holistic approach to treatment, considering all possible methods, including meditation, to create a plan for lasting sobriety. Call us today at 833.551.2304 to learn more about how our team of dedicated practitioners can form a customized plan for you.
The Benefits of Holistic Treatment
To permanently treat substance use, clients need to uncover and examine the underlying reasons they resorted to drinking or taking drugs in the first place. Holistic treatments such as stress management, yoga, nutritional supports, and meditation allow your mind and body alternate tools for dealing with the inevitable trials and tribulations of life. These methods also allow you to feel more emotionally present, enabling you to identify and avoid the triggers that may lead to relapse.
How Meditation Can Aid in Your Recovery
Meditation, in particular, can be highly beneficial to individuals in recovery. Meditation has been proven to create physical changes to the brain’s prefrontal cortex, improving memory, enhancing moods, and even allowing for improved thought patterns. It accomplishes this by permitting your mind the ability to process current thoughts and feelings, including the profoundly negative memories or experiences that may be exposed through individual or group therapy.
You may have felt stuck when facing overwhelming sadness, fear, grief, anger, or other negative feelings in the past. Meditation can allow you to experience these sentiments, enabling you to release them and finally move on. It also provides the clarity you require to identify more positive coping mechanisms.
Other benefits include:
- Cost and flexibility (Meditation can be performed at any time, in any location, for free)
- Improved emotional regulation
- Allows for less reflexive responses to negative triggers
- Can counter the symptoms of panic or anxiety by lowering respiration, pulse, and cortisol production
- Significantly decreased chance of relapse
- Reduces symptoms of various stress-based disorders such as anxiety, depression, and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Provides more restful sleep
- Reduces instances of high blood pressure or insulin dysregulation, leading to pronounced improvements in physical health
- Increased creativity, problem-solving abilities, and physical coordination
- For some, meditation can result in a state of profound euphoria, similar to the “high” you may have previously attempted to experience through the use of drugs or alcohol
Most critically, meditation can allow you a permanent tool to identify and combat future cravings for drugs and alcohol and allow you the opportunity to interpret the implicit emotional needs that drove those impulses. This permits cravings to work in your favor and improve your life’s overall quality in ways you never before imagined.
Holistic Treatments and Meditation at Gulf Breeze Recovery
Mindfulness training can offer you the tools you need to not only get sober but provide you with the ability to achieve a much happier and more complete life. At Gulf Breeze Recovery, we can offer you the help you need to finally take control over your destiny. Call us today at 833.551.2304 to learn more about the role of meditation in recovery and how our commitment to overall wellness can get you on the path to permanent sobriety.