The two most common mental health disorders in the U.S. today are anxiety and depression. Understanding the differences is essential if you experience any symptoms of these disorders for an extended period. Enrolling in a mental health treatment program is the safest way to treat these issues rather than self-medicating or ignoring the symptoms.
Gulf Breeze Recovery is a full-service treatment facility that offers residential and outpatient treatment programs. Our therapists have experience working with anxiety and depression. We develop close relationships with each client to promote lasting recovery.
Understanding the Differences Between Anxiety vs. Depression
There are some critical differences between depression and anxiety that you should be aware of. Anxiety and depression are mood disorders that can cause several troubling symptoms that interfere with your day.
Anxiety can cause a person to feel nervous or feel overly worried about a future event. It can cause rapid heart rates, hyperventilation, panic attacks, and an impending sense of doom that can be highly frightening.
Depression symptoms are very different from anxiety symptoms. They may include feeling sad or hopeless, low energy levels, and feeling like nothing you do will work out. People with depression will isolate themselves from friends and family, have a poor appetite, and may experience suicidal thoughts or fantasize about death.
What to Expect in an Anxiety and Depression Treatment Program
Participating in depression or anxiety therapy involves different therapy options to ease symptoms and allow clients to gain the upper hand on their conditions. Treatment programs use several behavioral and holistic therapies that include:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
- Dialectical behavior therapy
- Nutrition education
- Family therapy/counseling
- Music/dance therapy
- Journaling/creative writing
- Group and private discussions
Anxiety and depression therapy can also include co-occurring disorder treatment for those with a substance use disorder or other co-occurring conditions.
The Benefits of Enrolling in an Anxiety Treatment Program
People ready to stop letting anxiety symptoms control their lives can benefit from participating in anxiety therapy. They will learn new ways to manage their symptoms and triggers and develop a better understanding of why they are susceptible to anxiety disorders.
Here are just some of the benefits of enrolling in an anxiety treatment program:
- Coping skills – While there is no cure for anxiety, several effective treatment programs can teach clients how to manage their symptoms. Therapists will work with you to develop new coping mechanisms to reduce anxiety symptoms and recognize triggers.
- Medical support – People with anxiety will also develop a substance use disorder if they try to self-medicate. During anxiety treatment programs, medical staff can administer medications for clients with severe anxiety or addiction withdrawal symptoms. As their symptoms fade, so will the need for medication, and most clients will be 100% drug-free by the end of the program.
- Rebuilding family relationships – In cases where relationship issues cause anxiety, therapists will work with parents, spouses, and other family members to rebuild broken relationships. They will also teach families how to become integral to the recovery process and create a supportive home environment.
- Peer relationships – Another vital benefit of anxiety therapy is developing healthy peer relationships. These friendships can lend support during difficult times when symptoms reappear, and you will help each other maintain a healthy mindset.
Understanding the differences between depression and anxiety symptoms is essential to developing an effective treatment program and reducing disruptive symptoms. Those who actively participate in therapy will develop a better understanding of their condition and healthy ways of managing symptoms and triggers.
Start the Comprehensive Anxiety Treatment Program at Gulf Breeze Recovery
You can find anxiety treatment in Florida at Gulf Breeze Recovery Center, located along the shores of the Gulf of Mexico. Our discrete facility welcomes people from all walks of life who want to learn how to control their depressive or anxiety symptoms. We combine behavioral and holistic therapies and medical support to create a whole-person recovery experience promoting healthy living and better mental health.