Relapse rates are high after completing a recovery program. As much as half of people relapse within the first year. However, a relapse is not a failure, just a warning that coping skills need fine-tuning to maintain sobriety.
What is a relapse prevention program? It supports individuals on the journey to sobriety and reduces the risk of relapse.
At Gulf Breeze Recovery, we help Florida residents with substance use disorders. We tailor our programs around each person’s unique symptoms, using behavioral therapies and medical support to ease drug withdrawals and cravings. Clients with severe addiction will begin therapy through our residential programs, while less severe cases can begin through outpatient treatment.
What Is a Relapse Prevention Program?
A relapse prevention program benefits individuals recovering from substance use disorder. It focuses on identifying triggers that cause the issues with staying sober and helping people develop coping skills to resist cravings or temptations. This program allows clients to fine-tune their skills and talk with their peers and therapists about navigating real-world situations.
Relapse prevention uses cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) to teach clients several ways to cope with their symptoms and triggers. During this program, participants will:
- Identify triggering situations or people and the risk they create in causing a relapse
- Fine-tune existing skills and develop new skills for specific situations
- Create an emergency plan for unexpected or overwhelming situations that cause an immediate risk of relapse
- Build confidence in using these skills to maintain their sobriety
- Develop skills to stop negative thinking and replace them with more positive and healthy ways of thinking and seeing the world around them
While relapse rates are very high after therapy completion, they drop significantly after several years. At Gulf Breeze Recovery, we will go over what is a relapse prevention program with you and answer any other questions you have about your recovery experience. We work closely with each client through every recovery step to ensure their success in maintaining life-long sobriety.
The Benefits of a Relapse Prevention Program
Participating in a relapse prevention program gives men and women the best chances of avoiding a relapse. The skills you will learn during therapy improve coping mechanisms and builds other healthy life skills that promote a healthy mind and body.
Here are just some of the many benefits of a relapse prevention program:
- Builds confidence and self-esteem in dealing with any stressful situation or people without triggering any cravings for drugs or alcohol
- Gives clients a safe space to talk about their struggles with relapsing while getting feedback from peers and therapists
- More time to practice coping and communication skills and develop new methods of handling difficult situations
- Reaffirms to individuals that they are alone in their struggles
- Teaches clients healthy relationship traits and how to recognize bad habits that can negatively impact their sobriety.
Substance use disorder recovery is possible when you enroll in a treatment program. Staying on the road to lasting wellness is possible with compassionate, comprehensive support.
Find a Relapse Prevention Program in Gulf Breeze, Florida, at Gulf Breeze Recovery
What is relapse prevention, and how can it benefit your recovery? At Gulf Breeze Recovery, we offer clients relapse prevention programs to support their continued sobriety. We use the latest behavioral therapies and medical support to give our clients the best chance of reaching and maintaining their goals for life.
If you or a loved one is struggling with a substance use disorder and ready for a real change, call 833.551.2304 today or complete our online form. Our team is ready to help you begin your recovery journey and support you every step of the way.